Scanned negative (2-7/8" x 4-7/8"), 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
2 prints also available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: In 1858 William Trow and William Stapp, as partners, bought the little mill on the northwest corner of West and Second Streets from W. W. Page, Sr. (see Page's Mill and Feed Store). The "little mill on the corner" was soon outgrown and casting about for a larger facility. Trow and Stapp found the answer across the street when they purchased the Weyer and McKee building on the southwest corner of West and Second Streets in 1867. They remodeled and modernized this building and ran it successfully until it was destroyed by fire on January 31, 1881. At this time Mr. Stapp and Mr. Trow amicably dissolved their partnership and Mr. Trow set to work to rebuild the business. This time he located on what is now Vaughn Drive. Now advancing in years, Trow saw the wisdom of inviting "new blood" into the business. The Powell brothers, William H., Frank L. and Edward E., all good businessmen of the city, joined as partners with each of the brothers and Mr. Trow owning a one-quarter interest in the mill. The specifications of the new mill were: One hundred and two feet long by 60 feet wide, built of brick with a slate roof and being six and one-half stories high. There was a two story engine house and boiler house extending back 50 feet with an octagon smoke stack 101 feet high. The power was furnished by a 22 x 48 Atlas-Corliss engine supplied by four boilers. Again, the mill became a success and again tragedy struck. In 1883 the elevator caught on fire and burned. Once more the rebuilding took place. The mill again became a profitable affair and remained an important part of the community until 1937. The great flood spared little along the Ohio that year and the venerable old mill at last succumbed to this final, fatal blow. In September of 1937 Ed Selig bought the old mill with the intention of tearing it down. At about that same time the W. P. A. approved a project to build a new swimming pool in Madison. The site of the old mill was authorized and the Crystal Beach Swimming Pool was built. The pool house was built of stones from the old mill. Sources: Madison Courier; Library Historical Files; Evening Courier