Scanned negative (2-7/8"x 4-7/8") , 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
1 other negative available; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: Fred Pfortner started his grocery business in these buildings in 1897. Before that the address at 317 had been a grocery and the other two buildings had housed various businesses including a locksmith, a restaurant, a store selling agricultural implements and a hotel. Mr. Pfortner maintained his grocery and warehouse here until his death in April of 1928. In 1905 the Madison Herald stated: "The store is clean, bright, inviting and sanitary in every way, and when the State Pure Food inspector was here a short time since, upon a general inspection, he marked the store of F. W. Pfortner, EXCELLENT. Deliveries are made of all purchases by his own wagons and everything about the place denotes the progressive, enterprising merchant." In August of 1928 the three lots and buildings were sold to Clem Hunger for $7, 850. Kahn Brother Meat Market was located at the 313 location for several years. The 315 address was for a time the 5 Cent Sandwich Shop and the 317 address was the Hoosier Pete Service Station. In 1942 the old building on the alley was demolished and the JayC Food Store moved from just across the alley to that location. It remained their until the mid 1980's when it moved to its present location on Second Street. It was vacant for a few years then the Eagles Lodge took over the building. In the picture, notice the barrels and brooms and the delivery boy carrying items to the delivery wagon. Sources: Madison Courier; Madison Herald; Louis Decar (local historian); City Directories