Scanned from negative (2-7/8"x4-7/8") taken to preserve earlier photo, 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
1 other view available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: "In 1893 the railroad bought the whole block on First Street from Vine to Mill Streets and built the depot and moved it in 1894"-Madison Courier, November 28, 1981. The station was used for passenger service until June 22, 1935. It was used for freight services but by the 1950's it had become obsolete and stood vacant for a few years. In the 1962 city directory the building was occupied by the Wilson Brothers Storage Company and Wilco Electric Company was later located in the building. In 1986 the Jefferson County Historical Society announced in the Madison Courier plans to purchase the building from Mr. and Mrs. Bernard L. Wilson for the purpose of restoring the building to its busiest period circa 1900. The building is still maintained by that organization. Sources: Historical Files; Jefferson County Historical Society; Madison Courier