Scanned negative (2-7/8" x 4-7/8") , 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 800 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
No other prints or negatives available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: The first Jay C Store was opened in Madison in 1927 by J. C. Grubb of Seymour, Indiana. It was the second store opened by Mr. Grubb and it was located at 103 East Main Street. In 1928, Grubb opened another store at 319 Jefferson. After a few years the store became too small and the adjoining building at 317 Jefferson was purchased from the Hunger heirs in 1940. This building had been a grocery store for many years run by Fred Pfortner. At the time it was purchased, it housed a restaurant and bowling alley. The old building was demolished and work started on the new grocery. Nathan Lichlyter and Thomas Potter were awarded the general contract. Edward Smith did the electrical work and Albert Yeisla installed the heating. The plumbing was done by John Pulman; Nicholas Klien and William Kremer were the painters. All the tin work was provided by William Eckert. These were all local craftsmen. The new building was 42 feet wide, 75 feet deep and had a 25 foot wareroom. In December of 1940 the grand opening was held for the first "Super Food Market" in Madison. Mr. Grubb was in attendance along with local dignitaries. Favors were handed out to all who attended. The Jay C Store moved its location to Second Street in the 1980s and the building stood vacant for a few years until it begame the Eagle Lodge. Also pictured is Bell's Cream Station at 313 Jefferson street. It was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bell of Hanover, Indiana. Source: Madison Courier; City Directories