Scanned negative (2-7/8" x 4-7/8"), 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
Twenty-three other negatives and three prints available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: Sources vary as to who designed the hotel, though it is generally credited to Francis Costigan. The hotel encompassed 100 years of history in Madison. Another hotel, Fitzhugh's Hotel, which had been built in the 1830s was removed from the site and in 1849 the Madison Hotel was erected. On March 27, 1850, a huge ball and dinner were held to celebrate its opening. The Madison Daily Courier stated on March 28, 1850, "...the completion of the hotel this early in the season is wonderful; and is not only creditable to the city, but is also a rare evidence of the indomitable energy of our citizens, and of the skill and industry of the able and efficient architect, Mr. Costigan, who has devoted his time and attention to the work." The paper goes on to describe the hotel as being, "a rectangular building, ninety-five feet on Second Street by one hundred and thirty six feet on Mulberry Street." The dining room could serve one hundred fifty to two hundred diners at a time. There was a separate entrance for the ladies and a barbershop in the basement. The paper also states the building, "averages four stories in height." It continued as a hotel until, in 1868, the Sisters of Providence bought the building for a girls' academy. It was called "The Academy of the Holy Angels." In 1884 the building was purchased by a consortium and was opened as the Madison Hotel with Judge John R. Cravens as president. An ad in the 1887-88 Madison City Directory states, "This commodious Hotel is located on the corner of Second and Mulberry Sts., above high water mark, surrounded by forest trees, distant an hundred feet from any other structure; every room in the building is an outside room, grates in most of the apartments, bath and water closets convenient, gas throughout, telephone in the office, commercial sample rooms on the first floor, billiards and refreshment parlors in the basement, commodious parlors for gents and ladies on office floor, croquet grounds and swings in the park. This house has more real comforts than any public house on the Ohio River. There are but few watering places that have more attractions than can be found at the Madison Hotel and in the city of Madison, and many more comforts are to be had here than at watering places generally. Reliable PORTERS attend the arrival of every train and steamboat to convey guests to the Hotel. THE HOTEL WILL BE KEPT OPEN NIGHT AND DAY. Mr. James Garrison and Mr. Joe Ziegler are in the office. Rate-Two Dollars per Day. Special rates for monthly guests. J. W. Garrison, Proprietor." The building changed hands several times and for some time during the 1900s it was called the Jefferson Hotel. Finally the grand old building fell on hard times and was sold in 1949 to Bernard Koehler and the building was demolished. A Kroger Store was put on the site. It remained the Kroger Store until 1979 when Kroger's moved to North Madison. In 1980 it became the Jay C Grocery Store and is used as such to the present. The giant iron scroll work and the massive, carved side rails with the same motif were saved and rest near the entrance to the Lanier Mansion. Sources: Madison Daily Courier; City Directories; Historical Files; ast SeHistory of Sisters of Providence of St. Mary of the Woods" by Sister E. Logan