Scanned negative (2-7/8" x 4-7/8"), 1200 DPI, online JPG saved at 72 DPI 1000 pixels on long edge with a MicroTek ScanMaker 9800XL. Scan is full frame of negative. No correction of film errors. Slight sharpness and contrast adjustments.
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Madison-Jefferson County Public Library
Twelve other negatives available ; Eastman-Kodak Brownie Camera No. 2C model A, with No. 130 film. Additional information: In 1896 a small band of women formed the Bethany Circle of the King's Daughters. Their goal was to make garments for the poor and give assistance to families in distress. It soon became apparent that the needs of the community were far beyond their abilities to provide. They soon decided a real hospital with rooms where the sick and homeless could be cared for was their goal. They invited others from all the churches in the city to assist in "the labor of love for suffering humanity" and soon over 100 people had joined them. The next step was funding for their noble project and they found citizens most generous. For instance, Mrs. Drucilla Cravens purchased a home on Presbyterian Avenue and donated it as site for the new hospital. The "little hospital who could" was on its way! There have been several additions to the present facility, Source: Madison Courier; Historical Files